Blog

Delegate to Dominate

Delegate with effective communication

Delegate to Dominate

Raise your hand if you have a hard time delegating tasks and responsibilities.

If you’re anything like me or the many performing arts pros I speak with regularly, your hand is in the air. As you might expect, we’re hardly alone in our difficulty with relinquishing control over duties for which we’re ultimately held accountable. In fact, this concern is one of the most often-cited reasons for failure to delegate. Thankfully though, this common predicament of ours isn’t a hopeless case! The key is effective communication.

Pareto Knows Best

I know you’re probably thinking that sounds entirely too simple. After all, if it’s your job to hold the keys to the scheduling kingdom then it follows that you need to be personally responsible for keeping a tight lid on the booking calendar. Fair point. But consider this: the Pareto Principle (maybe more familiar to you as the 80/20 rule), states that 20% of your efforts yield 80% of the results you achieve. So, the key to being truly effective in your role is to identify which 20% of the work you do is the most critical and delegate the remaining 80% so that you have time to focus on it.

For a programming director, it would seem obvious that establishing and fostering relationships with your resident company and promoters is your 20%. The actual administrative tasks surrounding the scheduling of special events and educational opportunities, not so much. It’s here that a simple way to manage clear, controlled communication about availability in your space to everyone downstream with a stake in the schedule can be a true game-changer in your ability to delegate with confidence.

One Version of the Truth

As luck would have it, this is exactly what Ungerboeck can deliver for performing arts centers and any other venue in need of a single source of truth about what’s happening at any given time. A centralized calendar with real-time updates means that everyone from the special events director to the maintenance manager can get an accurate view of the schedule anytime, anywhere without ever having to pick up the phone or send an email. Customized views keep things simple and manageable by ensuring that all parties see only what they need to in order work effectively – leaving all free to concentrate on the work that can only truly be executed well by them (another favorite reason for failure to delegate!).

Do Less, Achieve More

I know all too well how tough it can be to really embrace the idea that letting go a little could be the key not only to your personal success but to the fulfillment of the overall mission of your organization. Thankfully, you don’t have to take my word for it! Check out how Arts Centre Melbourne is using Ungerboeck to centralize and share information organization-wide, and more.

If you’re interested in learning more about what Ungerboeck’s solution for booking, operations, accounting and event communication for performing arts centers can do for you, send me a quick This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. I’d be happy to talk through exactly how our expertise can support yours. 

Related Blogs

How much more productive could your salespeople be if they had access to their customer data, follow ups, and sales opportunities on their mobile phone no matter where they are in the world? New mobile business solutions are readily becoming the most effective tool
With a student body of 11,000, Marquette University is one of the largest Jesuit universities in the United States. Managing events, catering and billing could be arduous tasks without the right software. Luckily, they found Ungerboeck’s integrated solution. “It’s
Wouldn’t it be great if you had everything you needed to increase sales right at your fingertips? If you could send emails directly from your CRM database, track clickthroughs and bouncebacks, and automatically log responses and create follow ups for sale reps
Ever wish there were more hours in a day? A well designed application using the latest technology could do just that – give you extra time, up to 30 minutes per day! Rich Internet Applications (RIAs) are web-based programs that combine the best characteristics

To provide you with a better user-experience, this website uses cookies (small, nonhazardous text files stored by your browser so you are recognized on your next visit). By confirming with "OK", you agree. Visit our Privacy Policy for more information.